Re: [Openvpn-users] VoIP with OpenVPN

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] VoIP with OpenVPN
  • From: "Matt Shields" <mattboston@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:11:27 -0400

I've done it but it didn't sound very good.  The reason is, the VOIP
system is in our office which connects via VPN to our datacenter, this
is where all the remote users connect.  So when I was at home (Boston,
MA) and connected to VPN (datacenter in Wash, DC) which routed the
VOIP back up to our Boston office, the ping times were extremely high.

So I gave up till I can come up with a mesh VPN network solution where
remote users can connect to both the datacenter and office.

Before you purchase (if you haven't already), do some ping tests to a
server/computer behind the destination VPN.  you'll want your ping
times to be really, really low (<100ms) otherwise you'll have
problems.

Matt