[Openvpn-users] a problem of the IP allocation

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] a problem of the IP allocation
  • From: "史栋" <semix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 18:28:47 +0800

>From: "Ê·¶°" <semix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: openvpn-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: a problem of the IP allocation
>Date:Thu, 05 Apr 2007 17:41:05 +0800
>
>Hi, guys.
 I am new here and I got a problem for days.
 Well,I planed to implement my VPN server on a host under the subnet
192.168.8.0/23
 and the clinet on the Internet with a public address.
 I allocated 192.168.9.16~192.168.9.31 as the vitural IP addresses for VPN
tunnels.
 As you see, they are part of the 192.168.8.0/23 subnet. However, althogh the
 server and client can get their virtual addresses on tun interface(192.168.9.17
 and 192.168.9.22 respectively). I couldn't ping through the peer from either
side.
  I tried another IP range 192.168.10.0/24 as the VPN tunnel address and it
 worked.

 AND
 The OPENVPN-howto says that "the virtual IP address range should be a private
 range which is currently unused on your network"
 So what does this "unused" mean? Does it follow that once you DEPLOY the
 192.168.8.0/23 as your subnet, you can never use any part of it as the virtual
IP
 address even if they are not CONFIGURATED ON ANY SPECIFIC MACHINES?

 THANK YOU and excuse me for my English :)