Re: [Openvpn-users] mssfix default

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] mssfix default
  • From: Peter Rabbitson <rabbit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:28:28 +0200

Giampaolo Carmagnani wrote:
> (snip)
> want to kow the openvpn's overhead.  Then I found this page:
> http://mia.ece.uic.edu/~papers/volans/openvpn1.html

Hi,
I don't know how you found this page, I have been searching all over for
this kind of information. It sheds some light on the subject, but still
it contradicts with what I observed in my original post. I use the
encryption and compression as the tester, and for some packet sizes I
should be getting an overhead of 45 bytes just like in his tables.
However when I set mssfix to 1464, the resulting tunneled mss is 1382,
which allows for at most 42 bytes of overhead. So somehow OpenVPN knows
that it will never cross this boundary, as it is not possible to change
the mss of a connection "in flight". Maybe it is guaranteed for large
packets only, who knows. My C is not nearly up to the task to understand
how it is actually done.

Either way, it was a pretty interesting reading. Thanks for the input.

Peter