[Openvpn-users] TAP network: MAC address forging?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] TAP network: MAC address forging?
  • From: "Serge Wautier" <serge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:50:01 +0200

Hi All,

I read on this list some time ago that in TUN mode, OpenVPN checks the source IP of packets vs the IP allocated at connection time to prevent users from forging their IP.

I wonder if the same kind of test is made for MAC addresses in TAP mode: Does OpenVPN check the MAC address of incoming packets?
Also, what happens if 2 clients connect using the same MAC (Obviously one is trying to forge another one's address) ?

TIA for shedding some light,

OpenVPN mailing lists