Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN with Windows NT4 for a large project.

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN with Windows NT4 for a large project.
  • From: Erich Titl <erich.titl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:38:42 +0100

Hi Claude

Claude Ledermann wrote:
> I want to build a quite large network with OpenVPN, in a first phase 500 to
> 1000 stations, potentially the total number of stations approach 4500. Now
> we communicate with these stations over ISDN.

Are those your card terminals?

> I have made initial test with openvpn and have got a very good impression of
> this product.
>

> The stations are a mix of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows
> NT4, DOS, Linux. More than half the stations are using NT4.
>

> My real problem is the Windows NT stations: no TAP driver is provided by
> OpenVPN.
>

> For Windows NT I am exploring the following alternatives: try to force the
> stations owner to migrate to XP, use some kind of Linux solid state pc in
> front of the station as an openVPN router or migrate openVPN back to NT4.
>

> Please can someone comment on the possibility of migrating OpenVPN back to
> NT4.

I would not even think about it. Are those NT4 stations single stations
or are they servers in a network? If they are single stations, e.g.
clients, try to move them to XP else use a OpenVPN gateway.

With the number of users you have in mind you would probably be best off
with a dedicated OpenVPN gateway, I would go for a flash booted small
Linux distribution, possibly with failover.

For a remote small size VPN endpoint there are various single board
solutions possible. I am pretty close by, so if you want to discuss this
 let me know.

cheers

Erich