Re: [Openvpn-users] how to do NAT on Windows XP?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] how to do NAT on Windows XP?
  • From: John Duffy <jduffy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 18:24:07 -0400

All,

Since this doesn't seem to be covered correctly anywhere I'd like to
post my Windows XP NAT configuration for Open VPN 2.0.x.

The steps I had to perform were:
1) Modify Registry Entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
IPEnableRouter=1

2) net stop remoteaccess // Stop the RAS Service
3) netsh routing ip nat install
4) netsh routing ip nat add interface "YOUR INTERNET NIC" full
5) netsh routing ip nat add interface "YOUR OPEN VPN TAP NIC" private
6) netsh routing ip nat add interface Internal private
7) net start remoteaccess

My netsh routing ip nat show interface then looks like:

NAT Internal Configuration
---------------------------
Mode              : Private Interface

NAT Local Area Connection Configuration
Mode              : Address and Port Translation

NAT Local Area Connection 4 Configuration
Mode              : Private Interface

NOTE: I actually had to reboot at the end for everything to take effect.

Both 5/6 were required for me since it appears that Step 6 actually
causes the traffic to be forwarded to the Internet connected NIC,
while Step 5 made Windows think it had to actually NAT the traffic.