Re: [Openvpn-users] Any way to Use VPN and have clients on same subnet?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Any way to Use VPN and have clients on same subnet?
  • From: Bob Hannent <bob@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:17:03 +0100

Charles Duffy wrote:
> Jeff Gross wrote:
>
>> I'd rather than do that instead of pushing routes, which hasn't been
>> working for me.
>>

> Hmm. It would probably be better to figure out why the routing doesn't
> work for you -- bridging is less bandwidth-efficient.

I'll second Charles in this, every time I have had problems with clients
on different subnets in this manner I have found out there is some
miss-configuration on my part or some thing I still needed to do. I
recently noticed that I couldn't connect to other clients despite having
configured forwarding in IPTables. Then I remembered that you need to
echo 1 into a part of proc to actually activate the forwarding. Doh! I
have also found that if you have a gateway setup such as an ADSL router
and a separate OpenVPN gateway then you need to remember to add a static
route to that subnet in the DSL router other wise many replies won't be
routed back because the default gateway doesn't know about the extra
subnet. On my router it was simply a case of activating static routes
function and then adding the OpenVPN subnet to that table. So check
forwarding is really on, and check the gateways and routes inside as
well as on the clients.

Getting your head around tcpdump is very useful in this case, you can
sit down and trace the traffic through your linux machine.

Bob

--
---
Bob Hannent