Re: [Openvpn-users] Performance problem

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Performance problem
  • From: Andre Tann <atann@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 01:13:04 +0200

Hello Jon,

thanks for your answer.

Jon Bendtsen, Montag, 3. April 2006 22:09:

> Which openvpn setup do you use? tun or tap? bridging or routing?

It is tun, say routing.

> UDP or TCP ?

I have tried both, TCP and UDP. It seems to me that UDP is faster
when it comes to surf some web sites inside the LAN. But it makes
no difference when starting the database Applikation.

> Did you enable compression?

# cat /etc/openvpn/server.conf
[...]
# Enable compression on the VPN link.
# If you enable it here, you must also
# enable it in the client config file.
comp-lzo
[...]

I have not changed this setting, it was the default.

> Do you have alot of
> When you ping, do you have alot of packet loss?

No, I have no packet loss at all. But I have rather long round trip
times.

> What about MTU issues? fragmentation?

How can I find this out? I don't know where to start trying...

> Start using a network sniffer and notice how the traffic is
> different between
> IPSEC and OpenVPN.

I know how to start tcpdump, and maybe ethereal. But I don't know
what I'm looking for. Can you give me a hint?

--
Andre Tann