[Openvpn-users] VPN recovery after brief network outage

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] VPN recovery after brief network outage
  • From: Henning Schulze-Lauen <henning.schulze-lauen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 11:05:01 +0100

a brief network outage?

I am running an OpenVPN client over a WLAN with bad signal
quality. When the WLAN connection goes down, it quickly
reconnects automatically. Tunnel traffic, however, breaks down
for good, even when the connection was down only a few seconds.
It does not recover until about 3 minutes later, when the
process has been restarted with a "SIGUSR1" by ping-restart.

I have tried to play around with the --ping-restart ## option,
to no avail. My suspicion was that the --ping-restart value is
overridden from the server side (over which I have no control)
to 120, as the log says during connecting:

    PUSH: Received control message: 'PUSH_REPLY,redirect-gateway
    def1,dhcp-option DNS ###.###.67.2,setenv nameserver
    ###.###.67.2,route-gateway ###.###.30.1,ping 10,ping-restart
    120,ifconfig ###.###.30.45 255.255.255.0'

So my question comes down to whether the claim on OpenVPN's
homepage that "tunnel traffic will immediately resume" just
refers to the --ping-restart mechanism, or whether there is
anything else which I can do in terms of configuration to ensure
a quick resumption of tunnel traffic.

Version was 2.0, and I now use 2.1 beta 11.

Best regards,
Henning