Re: [Openvpn-users] net use saying "The network path was not found" from client only.

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] net use saying "The network path was not found" from client only.
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:47:36 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Mirek Suk wrote:

I set up OpenVPN (via routing) server on XPsp2 (home) and one client on 2Ksp4 (work) to just test before I decide if to use this solution. XPsp2 is adsl with static IP address, 2Ksp4 is LAN in LAN (there is HW firewall in work (building firewall) which I don't have access to, and one SW firewall in (lan of this HW firewall) which is mine ;-)

both machines can ping each other, server can connect client share, however client can't connect server share (which is more important for what most of us need) (yes I use domain\username for work computer and I tried multiple variation for my home computer including computername\username and such) I went with simple config with no other options than those which I need to connect these two machines, with idea of adding other functionality later, however this stuck me in place for two days.

Doesn´t sound like an OpenVPN problem if you can ping the server but not mount a network share. Are you using an IP or netbios name? If netbios name, then try the IP instead like \\1.2.3.4\sharename.

And other thing... tap adapter on XPsp2 (after system restart and OpenVPN server starup) have invalid ip config (probably something decided by m$) which can be solved eigher by setting to allways connected and fixed settings or adapter remove/add (without system restart)

When running OpenVPN in server mode I always recommend configuring the tun/tap device manually instead of relying on DHCP, to minimize the list of possible problem sources.

There is however a known problem with XP SP2 in conjunction with some 3rd party firewall/anti-virus software that causes that kind of problems.

http://openvpn.se/               / \   NO Word docs in e-mail