[Openvpn-users] Re: OpenVPN and SNMP

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: OpenVPN and SNMP
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 12:43:05 -0500

On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:31:31 +0200, Patrick Marquetecken wrote:

> We are having problems for gathering snmp info on our vpn tunnels. The
> machine has four vpn tunnels, in the config files are the tun devices
> named like tun0 tun1.
> But according to out snmp analyser the tunnels does not come up always in
> the same order, they have always the same device.
>
> Is there a way to get the started the same way?

Absolutely. How are you starting OpenVPN -- through the
/etc/init.d/openvpn script? Where there's a line like

  for CONFIG in `cd $CONFIG_DIR; ls *.conf 2> /dev/null`; do

change it to

  for CONFIG in `cd $CONFIG_DIR; ls *.conf | sort 2> /dev/null`; do

thus verifying that your scripts are started in sort order. If you're
using the Debian init script (which respects a variable called AUTOSTART
to list the VPN instances to be started on boot), then you can also just
set AUTOSTART in /etc/default/openvpn to contain the VPNs in the order you
want them started in.