Re: [Openvpn-users] 1.6 server on linux, 2.0 client on Windoze.

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] 1.6 server on linux, 2.0 client on Windoze.
  • From: "Alex Kitaen" <akitaen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:39:18 +0000

Yes, I believe you are right, I'd already added this route to the server:
route add -net netmask gw

This looks correct, I presume the server can ping the client with this.

To get the TUN link working, and I tried adding:
route add -net netmask gw

But in your diagram you said that is the router for
You can ping the server because it doesn't need a route to that interface, but to ping
the rest of the machines on that subnet the openvpn server needs to route them
to the subnet's router.

Also I'm no expert on this (weekend expert is more like it) but it's common for the router for a subnet to be given the lowest address for that net, in this case .

Finally, this doesn't really matter but...

on the remote latops desktop, after he starts the VPN, he
double clicks on "Map_VPN_Drives.bat" which sets this route:

This will work fine (and is not incorrect) but if you look at the routing table you will see it is slightly indirect; The route to actually goes out on the interface, which is the local end of the tunnel. I believe this works because you have an interface on that subnet, and is the implied gateway for that subnet. So goes out on, but goes out on, the local interface.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone corrects me on all this, I have no book knowlege on this, I just figured it how it's all gotta work by reading routing tables.

Openvpn-users mailing list