[Openvpn-users] Tcp tunnel bridging performance ?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Tcp tunnel bridging performance ?
  • From: JP M <jpm_tmp2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:52:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi, list.
I am happily using openvpn + shorewall on a debian
'testing' box. I am using bridging in the old openvpn
1.5 way.
Among other uses I have 2 tunnels to connect wireless
machines to my Lan. I normally use UDP tunnels.
Trying to stream data (videolan) over the tunnels, I
come to the conclusion that udp over udp is not
reliable enough, while udp streaming over a tcp tunnel
is the solution.

Unfortunately, I observe a massive performance hit
(throughput at least divided by 4) with the tcp
tunnels. I tweaked the usual mssfix, but it did not
seem to help much -or not long ??.

My 2 test clients are XP pcs (1 with ovpn20rc6, 1 with
ovpn 1.5) connected to a 54Mb/s wireless Linksys AP.

Does this story rings any bell, before I start taking
apart the network ?

Thanks for any hint,

--JP
Linux 2.6.8-2-686 #1 Sat Jan 8 16:50:08 EST 2005 i686
GNU/Linux
OpenVPN 2.0_rc6 i386-pc-linux [SSL] [LZO] [EPOLL]
built on Jan 5 2005
shorewall version 2.0.15