[Openvpn-users] Setting up Log Server

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Setting up Log Server
  • From: Bradley Alexander <storm@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:20:33 -0500

Hi,

I have a couple of questions. I am setting up a log server, and want to
encrypt the log transmissions instead of simply sending logs cleartext across
port 514/UDP. The references I have found all point to stunnel. As I recall,
there were some major security issues with stunnel (these were far earlier
versions).

Since I am already using OpenVPN, I was considering using it for tunnelling
the logs from the servers on my network, but as I consider it, I'm thinking
that it may be overkill for the need. Has anyone else set up something along
these lines? If so, what app did you use for encrypting log traffic? Under
consideration are the following:

OpenVPN - Looks like it is overkill for the need.
ssh - Issues with key management. I could use something like keyring, but
           would still have to type in a passphrase each startup (which
           shouldn't be that often)...
stunnel - Unknown security profile.

Another question. OpenVPN has been assigned an official port by IANA. Does
OpenVPN manage connections and port assignments? What I mean by this is that
many listening apps like ssh and telnet listen on a port. The application
then manages connections on this port so that you can have multiple
connections on the same port. Does OpenVPN manage its connections similarly?
Let's say, using the log server as an example, I have 10 incoming
connections, will OpenVPN manage it, or do I have to assign a separate port
for each instance? Is there a way to combine the config files on the "server"
side as well or are those separate?

Thanks,
--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                       |