Re: [Openvpn-users] Hardware Requirements

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Hardware Requirements
  • From: Robert VPN <openvpn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:46:54 -0600

Nicky,

That's a hell of a deployment. However, I think this could be done... depending on the type of servers you will be using, it may be worthwhile to invest in hardware SSL devices for use with OpenVPN.

The hardware requirements would be lower depending on the level of encryption you are using. If this is for ISP-type purposes, consider dropping the encryption level down to something a bit more realistic. I don't think you'd need military-grade encryption for people sending emails to auntie. Perhaps a smallish key (512-bit) and 64-bit Blowfish for data channel?

As for load distribution... you would clearly need some type of load balancer setup that would be able to maintain persistent connections (the initial connection stays with the same server throughout its session lifetime). This can be done with OpenBSD's built-in round-robin style load balancer.

I would think that on a moderately equipped x86-64 server (AMD64 with BSD or Linux) with an SSL accelerator, you'd be able to get a few thousand users per box...

-- Robert

Nicky Clarkson wrote:

Hi,

We are thinking of running over 60,000 users using OpenVPN, with fairly low traffic (i.e. less than 50-100kbits per user).
Not taking into account redundancy requirements, what would be the hardware requirements for the server side (e.g. processor, RAM, no. of servers etc) for this type of deployment?
Has anyone else tried a deployment on this scale? Are there any other things I need to take into account etc?
Thanks for your help
Nicky

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IntelliVIEW -- Interactive Reporting Tool for open source databases. Create drag-&-drop reports. Save time by over 75%! Publish reports on the web. Export to DOC, XLS, RTF, etc. Download a FREE copy at http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl _______________________________________________ Openvpn-users mailing list Openvpn-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/openvpn-users