RE: [Openvpn-users] TAP32 Driver question (James Yonan?)

  • Subject: RE: [Openvpn-users] TAP32 Driver question (James Yonan?)
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:17:01 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Andreas Iwanowski wrote:

mmm
I think I didn't make myself clear enough about what I had in mind.
What I meant was some kind of an "emulated" TAP32 driver that still
functions the same but looks like a modem to windows.
This way, OpenVPN would look to Windows like a Dial-Up connection
and could also be used to log on to domains using the "Log on using
dial up connection" checkbox at the logon prompt.

However, this setup would require this "modem driver" to implement
a completely functional TAP32 interface. Probably there would also
be some OpenVPN code that would have to be changed.

Maybe this here makes things clearer:

Right now:
TCP/UDP carrier<---->OpenVPN<---->Tap32Adapter<---->O/S(Windows)

What I have in mind:
TCP/UDP carrier<---->OpenVPN<---->Modem_emulation_driver<---->O/S(Windows)

I'm not saying the TAP32 adapter should be replaced, but in some
setup scenarios (like road warriors who need to log on to a domain)
a modem driver based implementation would be easier.

I've been thinking about this as well. I was having a look at the RASPPPoE project the other day and thought -- The source for this driver would probably be a perfect starting point for such a project.

Unfortunally RASPPPoE is closed source, even if the it's free for personal use... But maybe the developer has some personal interest in OpenVPN, so it might be worth talking to him at least.

I'm no driver developer myself though so I never bothered taking contact with him, as I wouldn't know what to do even if I got access to his source :-)