Re: [Openvpn-users] IP address distribution/lease time

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] IP address distribution/lease time
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 03:20:03 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Andreas Iwanowski wrote:

Does anyone know if I can set the max lease time for IP adresses in server mode?

I don't think so.

Another question: When I reconnect with (the same) client, I always get a new IP address, before old leases are overridden. E.g. 192.168.41.6, then .10, then .14 and so on, til 252, and then I get .6 again.

Is there a way to supress this behavior and always have the server distribute addresses upwards? E.g. .6 and .10 wehen two clients are connected, when a 3rd one connect .14 and when no. 2 disconnects and a new client connect it gets .10 instead of .18??

That's the way it works for me. Somehow, the server must be holding on to your client instance, so a new is created before the old is released.

Are you using --duplicate-cn? If you're using this and udp without --explicit-exit-notify, then I can understand that you get this behaviour, as the server won't know that you have disconnected until its ping-restart time is reached.

Can we see your config?

To make the leases persistent even cross restarts of the openvpn server you can use --ifconfig-pool-persist option. As long as you're not restarting the OpenVPN server, this should be necessary though.