Re: [Openvpn-users] TAP32 Driver question (James Yonan?)

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] TAP32 Driver question (James Yonan?)
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:47:48 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Andreas Iwanowski wrote:

> Hello folks!
>  I have a question about the TAP32 driver used by OpenVPN. I have done
> some research and skimmed through the source code of OpenVPN and the
> TAP32 driver.

> My question originated from the lack of "Logon using Dialup" in OpenVPN
> and the discussion about root/admin rights to run OpenVPN.

OpenVPN can connect over dialup or any other IP-capable network device.

> My question (especially to James Yonan) is if OpenVPN would still work
> with a modem driver that emulates a P2P connection (obviously, OpenVPN
> would only run in TUN mode using this expecially modified driver), and
> Windows would have the control over the connection.

Yes, and it could run in both TUN or TAP mode.  The only thing that might
need to be tweaked is the MTU size to make sure the different levels of
encapsulation do not end up overflowing any packet size limits.  Use
--mssfix and/or --fragment to reduce the MTU size.

> This setup would require the following changes/additions: - A modem
> driver that emulates a TAP32 interface (emulating an emulated device?) -
> OpenVPN control interface so that Windows' "Disconnect" and IP options
> work. (Isn't there a management interface in the new v2_rc6 version?

I think you are confusing the TAP-Win32 driver with the network interface
over which the encrypted UDP or TCP carrier operates.  They are quite
independent.  If you want to run OpenVPN over a modem connection, just do
it.  The TAP-Win32 driver doesn't need to know anything about it.

James