[Openvpn-users] TAP32 Driver question (James Yonan?)

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] TAP32 Driver question (James Yonan?)
  • From: Andreas Iwanowski <namezero@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:16:46 -0500

Hello folks!

I have a question about the TAP32 driver used by OpenVPN. I have done some research and skimmed through the source code of OpenVPN and the TAP32 driver.

My question originated from the lack of "Logon using Dialup" in OpenVPN and the discussion about root/admin rights to run OpenVPN.

My question (especially to James Yonan) is if OpenVPN would still work with a modem driver that emulates a P2P connection (obviously, OpenVPN would only run in TUN mode using this expecially modified driver), and Windows would have the control over the connection.

This setup would require the following changes/additions:
- A modem driver that emulates a TAP32 interface (emulating an emulated device?)
- OpenVPN control interface so that Windows' "Disconnect" and IP options work. (Isn't there a management interface in the new v2_rc6 version?

Please let me know what you think of the idea and its feasability.
Any commets/help/advice/input is also appreciated!

-andy