Re: [Openvpn-users] iproute2 option

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] iproute2 option
  • From: Whit Blauvelt <whit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:57:19 -0500

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 09:29:24PM -0000, James Yonan wrote:

> The best way to see the difference is to grep the source for
> CONFIG_FEATURE_IPROUTE.

Thanks James! I'd thought of going into the source, but posted the query
instead because I knew I'd find the source a bit vague, since I don't code
C. I'm sure if I did the values of %s and %d in the code would be obvious -
they must be the variables specified by the names following in the
functions? But then I have to try to trace back farther and see where it
derived those variables. For instance, "dev actual" is which device spec in
a bridged situation? br0? eth0? I know I could just spend a lot of time
experimenting, which could be both revealing and fun. (If only I had infinite
time and many redundant systems to toy with.)

I've written code myself where, on being asked for more documentation, I
insist that my code should be clearer than any additional docs I could
write. So I know how that looks from the inside. From the outside, though,
even well-written code (and everything about this project, both code and
docs, is impressively clean) is more opaque than good docs.

Hope you have time to expand the docs to cover more of the background theory
as well as the specific logic of operations like this in the future. But I
know your time isn't infinite either. Thanks again for all you've
accomplished so far. I'm sure I'll get it working (because I've promised a
client...).

Whit