RE: [Openvpn-users] Route add fail with IPAPI and PPP.

  • Subject: RE: [Openvpn-users] Route add fail with IPAPI and PPP.
  • From: "Andrew J. Richardson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:02:40 -0500

> Before I start digging into the problem that seems to occur
> when OpenVPN
> tries to add routes on Windows via IPAPI when using a PPP or PPPoE
> adapter, there's something I'd like to have explained to me.
>
> I perfectly understand normal IP subnetting and routing, but I don't
> understand exactly how PtP links work.
>
> I though on a PtP link you always have a local IP address and
> a remote IP
> address, like when you deal with tun interfaces and OpenVPN,
> you specify
> your local IP address, and the IP address on the remote end.
> You can then
> add routes over this PtP link by specifying the remote end IP
> address as
> gateway address.
>
> When dialing with a modem in windows, this does not seem to
> be the case.
> I'm assigned an IP address via PPP, with a netmask of
> 255.255.255.255, but
> I can't see any remote IP address, and the added default gw
> points to my
> own IP address.

I'd like to know the answer to this, too, because it breaks using OpenVPN
with the redirect-gateway option.

If I use OpenVPN with the redirect-gateway directive on a typical LAN
segment and redirect the gateway to my home machine I can tunnel everything
through home just fine.

If I use the directive when dialed to my cell provider's network (a PtP
connection as Mathias described) the redirect fails at adding the first
route (a direct route to my existing "gateway").  OpenVPN without the
redirect-gateway directive works just fine, though.  I just can't redirect
all my traffic to a remote gateway.

Andrew