[Openvpn-users] Route add fail with IPAPI and PPP.

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Route add fail with IPAPI and PPP.
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:49:51 +0100 (CET)

Before I start digging into the problem that seems to occur when OpenVPN tries to add routes on Windows via IPAPI when using a PPP or PPPoE adapter, there's something I'd like to have explained to me.

I perfectly understand normal IP subnetting and routing, but I don't understand exactly how PtP links work.

I though on a PtP link you always have a local IP address and a remote IP address, like when you deal with tun interfaces and OpenVPN, you specify your local IP address, and the IP address on the remote end. You can then add routes over this PtP link by specifying the remote end IP address as gateway address.

When dialing with a modem in windows, this does not seem to be the case. I'm assigned an IP address via PPP, with a netmask of 255.255.255.255, but I can't see any remote IP address, and the added default gw points to my own IP address.

It obviously works, but why?

Sorry, to bug the OpenVPN list with this basic IP routing question, but I feel that I need to be perfectly clear about this, to be able to logically troubleshoot the real problem.

/Mathias