Re: [Openvpn-users] management interface questions

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] management interface questions
  • From: Leonard Isham <leonard.isham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 07:07:27 -0500

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:25:56 +0100, Daniel Lehmann <ov_users@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 21.01.2005, 01:05 -0700 schrieb James Yonan:
> > I agree that allowing password retries might be useful, though since there
> > are lots of potential fatal errors on OpenVPN startup, any GUI which is
> > driving the management interface will already need to know how to deal
> > with fatal errors which require OpenVPN to be rerun.  Password failures
> > are just one of many possible fatal errors.
> >
> > The problem is that you will complexify the code if you try to recode all
> > the possible startup errors to be nonfatal. And if you start making some
> > of them nonfatal and some of them fatal, then it complexifies the
> > management clients (i.e. GUIs) because now they must differentiate between
> > fatal errors which cause an exit and errors which would normally be fatal
> > but which have now been recoded to jump back to the management-hold state.
> >
> Ok, you're right. I didn't had any other fatal errors in mind which are
> to be caught.
> Anybody an idea how to handle such fatal errors on unix based OSes?
>
> Does anyone know, if OpenVPN under Windows is started as a service, is
> it automatically restarted on termination?

Not by default, but there are options that cab be set (first failure,
second failure , additional failures, etc.)

You mightwant to restart on the first 2 failures, but make them
restart the computer or call for support after that. I wouldn't want
to start a loop of restarting continously if there was a real
problem...

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.