Re: [Openvpn-users] management interface questions

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] management interface questions
  • From: Daniel Lehmann <ov_users@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:25:56 +0100

Am Freitag, den 21.01.2005, 01:05 -0700 schrieb James Yonan:
> I agree that allowing password retries might be useful, though since there
> are lots of potential fatal errors on OpenVPN startup, any GUI which is
> driving the management interface will already need to know how to deal
> with fatal errors which require OpenVPN to be rerun.  Password failures
> are just one of many possible fatal errors.
>
> The problem is that you will complexify the code if you try to recode all
> the possible startup errors to be nonfatal. And if you start making some
> of them nonfatal and some of them fatal, then it complexifies the
> management clients (i.e. GUIs) because now they must differentiate between
> fatal errors which cause an exit and errors which would normally be fatal
> but which have now been recoded to jump back to the management-hold state.

Ok, you're right. I didn't had any other fatal errors in mind which are
to be caught.
Anybody an idea how to handle such fatal errors on unix based OSes?

Does anyone know, if OpenVPN under Windows is started as a service, is
it automatically restarted on termination?

> It's an interesting idea, though I think it's a special case of a more
> general feature which would allow the management interface to dictate the
> entire configuration file + related files (certs, keys, etc.) over the
> management channel.  Maybe something to think about post 2.0.

That sounds interesting. Let's see how OpenVPN develops after the
version 2.0 is final.

thx
leh