[Openvpn-users] password on startup

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] password on startup
  • From: "Aaron P. Martinez" <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:17:33 -0600

I am trying to set up a simple(hopefully) p-t-p office to office vpn
using openvpn2.0rc6 on redhat 3.0es machines.

I am running into a couple problems (more likely brain farts) and hoping
you can help.

Below are my two config files.

office 1 (Server)

port 1194
proto udp
dev tun
ca /usr/share/openvpn/keys/ca.crt
cert /usr/share/openvpn/keys/cent1.crt
key /usr/share/openvpn/keys/cent1.key
dh /usr/share/openvpn/keys/dh1024.pem
keepalive 10 120
tls-auth /usr/share/openvpn/keys/ta.key
persist-key
persist-tun
status openvpn-sttus.log
log-append openvpn.log
verb 5
mute 20

ifconfig 10.4.0.1 10.4.0.2
tls-server
user nobody
group nobody
comp-lzo

office 2 (client)
client
remote 192.168.3.73 1194
resolv-retry infinite

port 1194
proto udp
dev tun
ca /usr/share/openvpn/keys/ca.crt
cert /usr/share/openvpn/keys/cent2.crt
key /usr/share/openvpn/keys/cent2.key
keepalive 10 120
persist-key
persist-tun
status openvpn-status.log
log-append openvpn.log
verb 5
mute 20
ns-cert-type server
ifconfig 10.4.0.2 10.4.0.1
tls-auth /usr/share/openvpn/keys/ta.key
user nobody
group nobody
comp-lzo

On the server machine i run the init script and openvpn starts up fine.
On the client machine i do the same but get prompted for a private key
password.  I put in the password and the connection is built and things
work fine.

Why am i getting this password prompt on one machine and not the other.
I'm assuming that it's the tls-auth that is asking for the password, is
that correct?

If i want the vpn to come up automatically if the machine reboots or
power cycles or whatever, what do i have to do?

Thanks for the help,

Sincerely,
Aaron Martinez