Re: [Openvpn-users] More thoughts on redirect-gateway

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] More thoughts on redirect-gateway
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:08:19 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Andrew Alston wrote:

> As referring to my previous email about redirect-gateway, I'm wondering
> if its trying to insert an interface id when it tries to create that
> route, and because the route is going to a gateway that's not the
> Ethernet interface (it's the ppp interface for my pppoe over adsl), its
> specifying the wrong interface id in the code and getting the route
> wrong and thereby breaking.
>
> Hrmmm its weird, because all the other route additions work except for
> that first step where it tries to insert the route to the vpn server for
> route loop avoidance.
>
> Anyone ever tried using redirect gateway under windows xp when the
> initial connection was a ppp or pppoe connection? And anyone have any
> success with this?

Try --route-method exe.  This will use the route command as opposed to
calling the IP helper API which will factor out the possibility that
OpenVPN is using the wrong interface ID.

There have been other reports of --route-method ipapi failing when RRAS is
being used.  It would be useful to see an "openvpn --show-net" before
the tunnel is started and contrast that against the interface ID which
OpenVPN thinks the default gateway belongs to.  This may be a bug.

James