[Openvpn-users] Re: auth-user-pass problem

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: auth-user-pass problem
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:31:06 -0600

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:47:01 +0100, Gonda Laszlo wrote:

> If I set  --user and --group on the server username/password
> authentication always fail (without these all ok)
> I used auth-pam.pl script for authentication (from sample-script).

Presumably your configured PAM method is such that root permissions are
needed for it to work. This is true, for instance, if using
/etc/{passwd,shadow} -- root permissions are needed to read the shadow
file to evaluate whether the given password is correct.

OTOH, using a different PAM method like LDAP (which needs to special
privileges) will work fine.