[Openvpn-users] how to share tcp port 443 between OpenVpn and Apache?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] how to share tcp port 443 between OpenVpn and Apache?
  • From: Konrad Karl <kk_konrad@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:18:36 +0100

Hi all,

I already had some conversation about this with Charles Duffy
but I would like to reach a wider audience.

It would be really convenient to be able to share tcp port 443
between this two applications, because many proxies are
configured to only permit the HTTP CONNECT method on
port 443 and additional ip addresses are difficult to get.

idea:

 add some characteristics to the SSL client hello message
 either in the 'random bytes' or add some private ciphers
 which are unlikely in normal web client requests.

 on the server a small frontend process would analyze the
 client hello, decide on the above characteristics what
 server would be the appropriate candidate and then
 forward the connection (including the first hello message)
 to the right server.

 another possibility would perhaps be to hack the
 apache (2.0 in my case)  mod_ssl but this seems more
 difficult to me...

opinions/more_intelligent_ideas  are  welcome.

PS: OpenVpn is a great and really working piece of software.

Konrad