[Openvpn-users] Re: Post 2.0 feature request

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: Post 2.0 feature request
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:05:04 -0600

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:18:48 +0100, Mathias Sundman wrote:

> I have some problem with people installing OpenVPN on multiple computers
> and then it would be helpful to see in the server log the hostname of the
> client computer.

Hmm. I just have a convention for CNs that goes like
<username>-<extraname>.vpn.company.com, where the key-generation
instructions document to the user that <extraname> should be something
that identifies the system they're using. (CSRs are manually reviewed
before signing, so IT can bounce back a certificate that fails to follow
this convention).

As long as I don't use duplicate-cn, the users have plenty of motivation
to build extra certificates for their spare machines, and so I don't find
that the problem you describe is one that I have.