Re: [Openvpn-users] openVPN full meshed

James Yonan wrote:

James.

I'm beginning to think that the popularity of OpenVPN is bringing in
people wilt almost no background, as well as "seasoned professionals."

My concern is that OpenVPN will get a "bad rap" with people that don't
have the expected background to fully comprehend how to get it to work
it's "magic."

Maybe a "To fully utilize OpenVPN's potential requires a background in
VPNs, point-to-point WANs and routing..." and links to help newcomers
come up to speed. I cut my teath on "TCP/IP Illustrated and Radia
Perlmans's "Interconnections" (First Edition) so I don't have much in
the links suggestion area...

I agree -- I'm planning to rework the FAQ at some point in the near future, and I'd like to have a section that will try to get newbies pointed in the right direction to at least get a handle on the basics of networking before they storm onto the list in frustration. Incidentally, if anyone would like to work on this with me, please let me know.

One of the things I would like to explore is a kind of semi-automated
mailing list archive -> FAQ converter.  There's so much great stuff in the
mailing list archives, and the fact that I see so many variations of the
same questions being asked over and over again makes me think that maybe
Google still has some room for improvement -- or maybe we could help out
the search engines by giving them some pre-digested data such as the whole
mailing list archives, one message per html file.

Another idea:  Maybe the FAQ should be a Wiki?

As far as OpenVPN getting a "bad rap", I think that the most the project can do is provide reasonable documentation. If the documentation is there and people choose not to spend the time necesary to understand it, there's not much the project can do. If you consider the man page, the web site, all the articles that have been written, and the list archives, you have a significant body of knowledge, written from different perspectives, assuming different skill-sets and experience levels, and of course all indexed by the major search engines. The resources are there if people choose to use them.

Incidentally, I think this project does better than most when you consider the amount of serious networking talent on this list who generously provide answers. I only hope that this small group of prolific, talented contributors will not burn out as others have in the past.

James

Jim,

Wait, not me. I'm just shammed enough to show my face because i wasn't able to find a way to contribute via PayPal or CC to the project - International Credit Cards here in this country (Brazil) are a piece of plastic delivered to people that can prouve an incomming of one million dollar per mounth - or near like that. I'm planning to start over in the next week - i'm from the 1.5x era, when static keys were widely used.

Best regards,

RSalles

unintentional side effect.

                        --- Linus Torvalds