Re: [Openvpn-users] Packet Aggregation with OpenVPN?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Packet Aggregation with OpenVPN?
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:16:21 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, uml wrote:

> Hi, what is the potential for implementing packet-aggregation within
> OpenVPN?
>
> i.e. suppose you have a VoIP stream of data flowing 16 byte packets every
> 20ms.  If you are running 1000+ simultaneous connections -- your pps rate is
> beginning to get high (~50kpps!!!) (Albeit, you can drastically lower it by
> increasing the packet increments up to about 80ms before other legacy
> equipment begins to have other issues)

In general, I would rather not add features to OpenVPN which are not
directly related to VPN operation.

Now looking to the far future (i.e. 3.0), I see OpenVPN evolving towards
a general-purpose, portable, user-space network stack (it's no coincidence
that the other killer app for TUN/TAP drivers is running OSes in
userspace).  At that point, I think it might be possible to do stuff like
channel bonding or packet aggregation via plugins.

James