[Openvpn-users] Re: OpenVPN as tunnel endpoint

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: OpenVPN as tunnel endpoint
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:31:29 -0600

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:22:23 -0500, Michael Thomas wrote:

>   I would like access services(http,smb) running on the Linux/OpenVPN
> server over the vpn tunnel. These services are running on the same
> interface and IP address as the OpenVPN server process. There is no local
> sub-net behind the vpn server. I can access the server  via the tunnel,
> but have not succeeded in firewalling the services off from the internet.
> I tried denying access to eth+ interfaces using iptables, but this also
> caused me to lose connectivity to these services over the vpn tunnel.

You're using tun, right? Your systems will have different, tunnel-specific
IP addresses (assigned to the tun adapters, or the tap-win32 adapter in
the case of the XP system). These, not the regular IP addresses, should be
used when the systems are contacting each other over the VPN.

My guess is that your traffic was still being routed over the Ethernet
interface rather than the tunnel. It's just a guess, though -- you didn't
give enough information (IP addresses, OpenVPN config files, etc) for a
more solid diagnosis.