Re: [Openvpn-users] Exiting from 'Management Interface' causes openvpn 2.0rc7 daemon to die

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Exiting from 'Management Interface' causes openvpn 2.0rc7 daemon to die
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:19:37 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, James Yonan wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Christian Sander [iso-8859-1] Røsnes wrote:

Hi

I've got OpenVPN 2.0rc7 running on an OpenBSD 3.6 DS10 Alpha server.
The OpenVPN server works fine as far as tunneling goes.

However, when I exit the 'Management Interface', the OpenVPN daemon
for this Management Interface dies.

I've configured the "management interface' to listen to 'localhost port 1103'.
(see server configuration below).

I access the management interface with telnet, like so:

# telnet localhost 1103
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
INFO:OpenVPN Management Interface Version 1 -- type 'help' for more info
exit
Connection closed by foreign host.

The outcome of this 'exit' command is that OpenVPN daemon dies
(ps -aux | grep openvpn  - doesn't list it anymore)

I check the log file and find:

Thu Jan 13 14:26:53 2005 MANAGEMENT: Client connected from 127.0.0.1:1103
Thu Jan 13 14:27:07 2005 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'exit'
Thu Jan 13 14:27:07 2005 MANAGEMENT: Client disconnected
Thu Jan 13 14:27:07 2005 MANAGEMENT: Cannot bind TCP socket on 127.0.0.1:1103:
Address already in use (errno=48)
Thu Jan 13 14:27:07 2005 Exiting

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong ?

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, but I would be curious why the kernel thinks the address is already in use on the rebind attempt.

There's definitely an argument to be made that OpenVPN should stay bound
to the socket for the life of the daemon instance, rather than rebinding
on client disconnect.

Yes, regardless why this is happenging to him, it would make more sence to stay bound to the socket.

After OpenVPN has started and bound to it's management port, an other application should not be able to "steal" this port while the management interface is in use, and thous causing OpenVPN to exit.