Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: Exiting from 'Management Interface' causes openvpn 2.0rc7 daemon to die

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: Exiting from 'Management Interface' causes openvpn 2.0rc7 daemon to die
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:28:26 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Charles Duffy wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:13:14 +0100, Christian Røsnes wrote:
>
> > However, I wonder why user 'nobody' is not allowed to bind to port 1103?
>
> There's a longstanding tradition of not allowing unprivileged users to
> bind to low ports (where the upper bounds of "low" is at least 1024).
>
> That said, this still smells like a bug to me -- the OpenVPN server
> shouldn't need to bind to the management port more than once for the
> entire run of operation.

No, it's not a bug -- currently the socket is bound to only when we are
listening for a management client.  During the time that a client is
actually connected, the listening socket is unbound.  Since there isn't
really any infrastructure for dealing with multiple management clients
simultaneously, OpenVPN doesn't listen on a socket for clients which it
wouldn't be able to accept if they tried to connect.

Now having said that, it still doesn't make sense to me why the rebind to
the listening socket fails after the initial client disconnects.

James