Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: Exiting from 'Management Interface' causes openvpn 2.0rc7 daemon to die

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: Exiting from 'Management Interface' causes openvpn 2.0rc7 daemon to die
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:30:26 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Charles Duffy wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 17:28 -0700, James Yonan wrote:
> > Now having said that, it still doesn't make sense to me why the rebind to
> > the listening socket fails after the initial client disconnects.
>
> I was presuming that the initial bind happened before privileges were
> dropped... or is this not the case?

The initial bind does in fact occur before privileges are dropped, however
the second bind, after the first client disconnects, will occur after the
privilege downgrade.

It's strange that this would fail, given that the port number being used
was > 1024?  Is this failure 100% reproducible, or is it intermittent?
Can you fix it by using a different port number?  Perhaps some other app
is grabbing the port during the time that the initial client is
connected and the listening socket is unbound?

James