[Openvpn-users] Some Further Info on Strange Windows Net Interface Behaviour

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Some Further Info on Strange Windows Net Interface Behaviour
  • From: Segedunum <segedunum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:17:05 +0000

Hi All,

I've been getting OpenVPN (2.0 RC6) up and running on a Windows 2003 server, and it has run pretty much flawlessly. A couple of days ago though, I had an issue which sounds like it may or may not be related to some of the reported Winsock problems. The server wasn't trashed in any way, but it seemed to wipe out the network settings on the primary network interface (namely the gateway) so network access to the server immediately became impossible. Fortunately, I was simply able to log in serially and simply reset the settings and use DHCP in future.

Since OpenVPN had started flawlessly many times before, I don't think this is a fundamental issue with it. What I was doing when it happened though was starting the OpenVPN service through Services (which I'd done before), but a previous instance was already running. I clicked stop and start, but it may have been that the old OpenVPN instance had not shut down fully. I managed to log back in, but when I started the OpenVPN service the problem re-occurred. After uninstalling and re-installing OpenVPN the problem went away. I have now been running the server from the console and using the OpenVPN service without issue ever since, making sure I shut the server down fully before restarting it. This may be the cause of some corruption issues some are seeing with network interfaces, especially when starting or shutting down OpenVPN. Touch wood, XP SP2 has no problems whatsoever with OpenVPN. As an aside, I wouldn't run OpenVPN on Windows 2000. It does not handle this situation at all. If you do, make sure you have a test machine and a configuration you trust.

Cheers,

David

------------------------------------------------------- The SF.Net email is sponsored by: Beat the post-holiday blues Get a FREE limited edition SourceForge.net t-shirt from ThinkGeek. It's fun and FREE -- well, almost....http://www.thinkgeek.com/sfshirt _______________________________________________ Openvpn-users mailing list Openvpn-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/openvpn-users