Re: [Openvpn-users] recommended distro

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] recommended distro
  • From: Daniel Lehmann <ov_users@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:26:26 +0100

Am Montag, den 10.01.2005, 13:25 -0600 schrieb Terry Inzauro:
> Does anyone have any suggestions of which Linux distro to use for an OpenVPN aggregator?  Maybe some
> past experieces, hits, pro/cons, or preferences?

To confuse you even more, I recommend Adamantix [1].
That's a security improved linux distribution whose handling is similar
to Debian [2].

Take a look at it, for some appliances it is really nice.

greetings
leh

[1] http://www.adamantix.org
[2] "Adamantix aims to become a highly secure but usable Linux
distribution. A standard Linux distribution is not very secure, despite
the fact that it may be more secure than other operating systems. The
underlying problem is that most of Linux as we know it today was
designed for speed and features, but not for security. Adding security
to a system which is not designed to be secure will not solve most of
the problems. This means that the whole system needs to be redesigned
from the ground up to make it really secure. And that is what the
Adamantix project is going to accomplish.
Adamantix v1.0 (known as Trusted Debian v1.0 back then) was the first
Linux distribution to integrate support for PaX and SSP (Stack Smashing
Protector, aka. Propolice). PaX is a kernel patch which protects against
a number of buffer overflows and other memory corruption attacks. SSP is
a GCC patch which provides protection of the stack, which makes stack
overflows harder to exploit."