Re: [Openvpn-users] Bad source address from client

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Bad source address from client
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 13:41:03 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Markku Leinio wrote:

> Hi folks. I have been using dev tap with my VPN very successfully a couple
> of months but have now been testing dev tun instead. Everything is great
> otherwise, but I get the following messages in the log in the server side:
>
> Sun Jan  9 18:10:41 2005 Markku_Leinio/193.166.XXX.XXX:1663 MULTI: bad
> source address from client [10.YYY.YYY.YYY], packet dropped

That error occurs when OpenVPN gets a packet from a client for which it
has no return route back to the client.  It's a security feature that
prevents other machines on the client LAN from using the VPN unless they
are explicity allowed to.  --dev tap mode is more permissive (because of
the semantics of ethernet bridging) and does not enforce any source
address checking unless you use a --learn-address script.

To explicitly allow packets from 10.YYY.YYY.YYY, you need to use
--iroute/-client-config-dir.

James