Re: [Openvpn-users] path-mtu 1460 : message too long

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] path-mtu 1460 : message too long
  • From: richard <rvenne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:07:14 +0100

yeah sure,I agree.
which means:
a routing table had been changed, (ospf, bgb who knows), and my packets are too long for one of them, which make those errors. so, how can I guesse the right mtu value in order to be sure, that my packets could pass through the isp's equipments? should I try about a lot of mtu values?each of my vpn clients could have a diffrent isp with diffrent wan link:

(x)dsl, satelite, isdn, wifi, radio,frame relay..........and they could be in diffrent countries.so, I figure that (mtu error) may happen...
so my question is:

why my mtu errors were only visible in openvpn console? they may be a copy of 4th(tcp/udp)layer error message. why don't the mtu-discovry mechanisme do its job, in order to adjust?does openvpn have its own mtu-discovry mechanisme inside the tunnels?