Re: [Openvpn-users] Acessing windows shares from a remote openvpn connection (using wins)

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Acessing windows shares from a remote openvpn connection (using wins)
  • From: Christian Røsnes <csr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 11:18:03 +0100

On Sunday 02 January 2005 02:42, Mario Bittencourt wrote:
> Yes I can ping both samba servers from my remote connection but the
> \\ip does not work.
>
> I am suspecting that something is being filtered...  Which
> protocols/ports should I check ?
>
> udp 137/138?

 SAMBASERVER-------------OPENVPN-----------------CLIENT (WINDOWS)

Assuming you cannot mount a share on SAMBASERVER from CLIENT,
here are some tips:

1) Have you allowed the CLIENT ip adresses to access the SAMBASERVER ?
Check samba config file, eg. /etc/samba/smb.conf ([global] section)
for this line:
hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
Is this line present in the config file. If yes, are the client
addresses allowed ?

2) Test to connect to a share. In a (dos) cmd window on client, do:

CLIENT>    NET USE * \\<SAMBASERVER-IP>\<share>  /user:<USERNAME> *

Eg,
SAMBASERVER-IP=192.168.2.1
SHARE=test 			     (a share on the SAMBASERVER)
USERNAME=administrator  (a username with access to share 'test')

CLIENT>    NET USE  *  \\192.168.2.1\test   /user:administrator  *

Do you get an errormessage ?

If this fails, then on your SAMBASERVER check the "/var/log/samba/log.smbd"
logfile (assuming that this is where your server puts its smbd log files) for
any errors.

3) You can test TCP connectivity to the SAMBASERVERS smbd daemon listening
on TCP port 139. From the CLIENT, can you telnet to port 139 (TCP) on the
SAMBASERVER ?

On samba server, first verify that smbd is listening to TCP on port 139.
SAMBASERVER$   netstat -anop | grep 139

Then on client, do:
CLIENT>   telnet  <SAMBASERVER-IP>  139

You should see a "Connected to <SAMBASERVER-IP>" message if you can connect.

Christian