Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN (with identical subnet misshap)

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN (with identical subnet misshap)
  • From: Martijn Lievaart <m@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:11:58 +0100

cldpeak wrote:

I've been setting up clients with OpenVPN, while I have control over IP subnets used in branch offices, it just occured to me that I don't have control over windows clients connecting from hotspots. I may be setting up some subnets with a common 192.168.etc.etc - what happens if clients connects from an identical subnet hotspot?

For example
hotspot        -    OpenVPN    -     office
192.168.0.0/24 - 172.16.0.0/24 - 192.168.0.0/24

I would be out of luck right? Or would OpenVPN Office push of route, client pull, overide the client thinking the office host was on it's own subent?

Something like that. You override your local net, so the connection is established, but as soon as the route is pushed, all VPN packets are routed over the VPN tunnel itself. This obviously is a Klein bottle and bad things will happen. On Windows, the client just cannot use the network anymore.

The obvious solution is to use NAT in that case. Use 1:1 NAT to nat one of the networks to another network.

HTH,
M4