Re: [Openvpn-users] openvpn on linux, netfilter traversal

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] openvpn on linux, netfilter traversal
  • From: Sebastian Pein <pein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:24:51 +0100

leonard,

that was my idea, too. but packets to and from the tun/tap device are virtual
packets only, aren't they? when i listen on the cable with tcpdump i expect to
see (hear, hehe) packets from the openvpn servers port going back to the
openvpn clients port. and these packets should match.

something else: i straced the openvpn server. running it on the device with the
normal default route shows client-packets coming in. running it on the second
isp's device, shows nothing like that. but at the same moment tcpdump shows
incoming packets. maybe i was wrong thinking incoming packets are not the
problem. how could there be a gap between incoming packets and the openvpn
server not seeing them?

how can i track packets even more precisely than with libpcap tools?

sebastian

  sebastian pein
  netzwerkmanagement
  infinity networks gmbh