Re: [Openvpn-users] LJ's "cons" of OpenVPN: how serious is latency?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] LJ's "cons" of OpenVPN: how serious is latency?
  • From: Sean Kennedy <skennedy@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 07:46:35 -0800

Florin Andrei wrote:

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 15:47 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:

See today's article on Slashdot about WiFi and PPTP - there's a guy
commenting that he tried to setup an IPSec VPN (was it OpenSWAN? i don't
remember) and he couldn't descend below 150ms latency - definitely not
enough to play some network games.
With OpenVPN he got 50ms which is more than enough for pretty much all
applications.

http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=133450&cid=11150268

Heh, I happen to be the friend he is referring to.  Small world, eh?

He's right, however: We did try freeswan. I originally set it up, and while setup wasn't *that* bad, the routing was a nightmare, like he said. Perhaps now I could have done it with some tweaks to the firewall rules, but that's not the point: We shouldn't have to.

We tried some bandwidth/latency testing ( *cough* Serious sam *cough* ) across the freeswan link, and it wasn't playable. Tried it across the openvpn link, no issues.

As an interesting side note: I will soon be implementing a voip solution for the offices I work for using openvpn and asterisk. I have absolutely no stress regarding link stability or latency consistancy ( only in my ability to work with asterisk...but that's a different mailing list altogether ;) ).

Sean