Re: [Openvpn-users] SSHv2 vs OpenVPN security

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] SSHv2 vs OpenVPN security
  • From: Leonard Isham <leonard.isham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:12:33 -0500

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:06:20 -0600, Robert VPN <openvpn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Leonard,
>
> I went and looked at this product's web page and it appears to be an
> SSL-type proxy and operates the same way as SSH tunnels. The language here,
> direct from their website, reveals all:
>
> Thankfully, this is a simple process. For example, configuring your email
> browser to connect to your mail server over SSL is as easy as setting the
> mailserver address in your client from "e.g. mail.yourdomain.com", to
> "localhost", or "127.0.0.1". Once this is done, the zero-footprint VPN
> cllient that is launched from the SSL-Explorer web page will intercept
> communications from your application and deliver them to the chosen host
> within your SSL-Explorer managed network.
>
> Yeah, that's not anything close to a VPN as far as I am concerned. As for
> the rest of their features, it's nothing that can't be setup with OpenVPN
> (Active Directory authentication? No sweat!).

Robert and all,

My point is more along the line that even a long time supporter of SSH
(they actually where working towards a SSH based VPNish solution) has
embraced SSL.

Don't get me wrong I have and will continue to use SSH, and Stunnel,
as a way in, but OpenVPN is, by far, my prefered method.

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.