Re: [Openvpn-users] SSHv2 vs OpenVPN security

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] SSHv2 vs OpenVPN security
  • From: Robert VPN <openvpn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:06:20 -0600

Leonard,

I went and looked at this product's web page and it appears to be an SSL-type proxy and operates the same way as SSH tunnels. The language here, direct from their website, reveals all:

Thankfully, this is a simple process. For example, configuring your email browser to connect to your mail server over SSL is as easy as setting the mailserver address in your client from "e.g. mail.yourdomain.com", to "localhost", or "127.0.0.1". Once this is done, the zero-footprint VPN cllient that is launched from the SSL-Explorer web page will intercept communications from your application and deliver them to the chosen host within your SSL-Explorer managed network.

Yeah, that's not anything close to a VPN as far as I am concerned. As for the rest of their features, it's nothing that can't be setup with OpenVPN (Active Directory authentication? No sweat!).

-- Robert

Leonard Isham wrote:
Something that may be significant 3SP (www.3sp.com) which makes a Java
VNC Client that integrates ssh for security has a new product out that
is a SSL based VPN.  At least that is what they say I have not had a
chance to look under the covers and see what exactly it does.  I've
been too happy with James and OpenVPN.