[Openvpn-users] Ping only after establishing connection

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Ping only after establishing connection
  • From: Pedro Canahuati <pclist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:57:41 -0500

Folks,
I have a strange problem. My VPN has been stable for a while but this problem has been bugging me since we started using it.
We're running OpenVPN 2.0_beta11 on redhat linux workstation 3. Our clients vary from linux to Win2k/XP.

Our network looks like this:
client --->  vpn server --> private network
10.0.1.0/24 --> vpn server --> 10.1.1.0/24

The problem is that if I try to ping a host in the private network from the remote client, I cannot. However, I can establish a successful connection (ex: ssh, smtp, http) and once it's established, I can then ping the host. I can ping the host for about 5 minutes after I close the established connection, but then it stops working.

Any thoughts?
-p