[Openvpn-users] Re: OpenVPN on a bridge firewall?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: OpenVPN on a bridge firewall?
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 02:47:24 -0600

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:56:11 +0100, charpa wrote:

> If i understand OpenVPN right i cannot use bridge mode, because the
> external address of the OpenVPN-Server needs an address which must not
> be a part of the intranet.

You can use OpenVPN in routed mode either on the gateway itself, or on a
separate system with the gateway machine configured to route packets
destined for the remote side of the VPN to the VPN server.

Likewise, I don't see any particular reason why you can't use bridged mode
-- it'll work fine without an external interface on your VPN server --
but, since you have the option of either, routed is generally better
(particularly in terms of bandwidth consumption).