[Openvpn-users] OpenVPN on a bridge firewall?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN on a bridge firewall?
  • From: <charpa@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:56:11 +0100

Hello,

I'm new to VPN and don't understand if it is possible to run an
OpenVPN-Server on an existing bridge firewall (in either bridge or
route mode).

If i understand OpenVPN right i cannot use bridge mode, because the
external address of the OpenVPN-Server needs an address which must
not be a part of the intranet. But the existing bridge firewall (on
which the OpenVPN-Server would run) would only be reachable through
such an adress.

On the other hand route mode would make it necessary to change the
standard gateway of the intranet clients, right?

So do you see a possibility to run an (Open)VPN-Server in the
following situation (without changing standard gateway on the
intranet clients):

- i don't have access to the Gateway
- a.b.c.0 is a public net with a.b.c.1 as standard gateway
- Standard gateway on the intranet clients is a.b.c.1

Hosts/Nets                     IP-Adresses

[Roadwarrior]                    [w.x.y.z]
    |                                |
    |                                |
    |                                |
    |                                :
<Internet>                           :
    |                                :
    |                                |
    |                                |
    |                             ?.?.?.?
[Gateway]                            -
    |                             a.b.c.1
    |                             a.b.c.x
[Bridge-Firewall]                    -
    |                             a.b.c.y
<Intranet>                        <a.b.c.0>

Kind regards. Charpa.