[Openvpn-users] Slashdot article

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Slashdot article
  • From: Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:10:11 -0800

Here's a Slashdot article that describes a typical situation where
OpenVPN might help:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?
sid=04/12/21/0134230&tid=172&tid=193&tid=218

Bottom line: WEP is weak, and PPTP (which is what some people use to
"secure" WEP) is weak too.
I posted some comments myself, describing my troubles with IPSec and
then how OpenVPN came to rescue. Feel free to contribute.

I'm currently running a wide-open WiFi access point, no MAC filtering,
no SSID cloacking, it even gives you a DHCP address. :-) But it's behind
an allow-nothing firewall. In order to do anything, you must open up an
OpenVPN tunnel first.
My laptop has OpenVPN on both the Linux and the Windows partitions;
wherever i go, i just fire up OpenVPN and bingo! "i'm home". Run IMAP
through it (with server-side filtering courtesy of Cyrus and Sieve) and
my mail looks the same no matter where's my IMAP client.

OpenVPN rocks! :-)

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/