[Openvpn-users] DHCP over tun?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] DHCP over tun?
  • From: Hans Fugal <fugalh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:55:02 -0700

I love openvpn, but I am uneasy about ifconfig-pool. No doubt many of
you will try to convince me it is OK with varying degrees of success,
but let's say for the sake of this thread that I want to leave things
that DHCP has been doing well for so long up to a DHCP server, and ask
openvpn only to do what it does best: VPN.

I've done this happily in a bridging setup, but I'm not clear whether
it can be done with TUN. TUN being IP-based as it is, I'm guessing
it's not possible since communication over the VPN requires routing
and all that good stuff.

I wonder, though, would it be possible to set up the openvpn as a bona
fide DHCP relay?

What are your thoughts on this?

PS Yes, I can think of things that DHCP does, that we use, that
openvpn does not emulate. I think it's silly to emulate DHCP to the
point of implementing DHCP if there's a way to work a real DHCP server
in there.

--
De gustibus non disputandum est.